Friday, June 18, 2010

Writing The Ship

No, that’s not a new story I have, it’s more of a play on words to describe my efforts lately to get back on course in terms of writing. For over a year, I was floundering around in the water with no land in sight and it’s been a struggle to get back upright. I have been trying to write whenever I can; late evening and even later sometimes, very early in the morning and weekends of course.

It’s difficult when you can’t devote the time you need to (and want to) because I find it to be like so many other things. The more you do it, the better you are and the more you want to continue. There is a certain gathering momentum and rhythm to it if you can keep it going.

I realize this is not exactly headline news to any writer. No one has all the time they want to write but I will say that there are certain times of a person’s life where priorities or conditions that will affect the actual ability to write take precedence. In many cases, I believe that’s the way it should be.

I have always felt that it’s the ultimate in me-first selfishness for me to set aside certain things in favor of what I want. I’ll be the first to admit that writing is something that I want to do and I certainly have a true passion, if not an addiction, for it but I just can’t put it above certain things in life. Can’t do it, won’t do it. I’ll pay for that a lot of times because the volume of work and even the quality of writing suffers greatly if the body and head are not signed on 100%.

I do not look at myself as righteous and special, there are a helluva lot of writers out there who make the same hard decisions on life’s responsibilities and duties versus just Taking the time to write when it really isn’t there. Don’t get me wrong on this, it’s just my opinion.

With all that being said, when the brief windows of opportunity do present themselves, then I try to write.  Scrambled thoughts but it seemed important to write this down. 

 - JW